Many companies and other organizations are taking action to manage their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, a cause of climate change. Projects can reduce or avoid GHG emissions that cause climate change. These actions can reduce the overall emissions of a company or create tradable credits to offset emissions in order to become carbon neutral.
Although no universally accepted GHG project accounting standard yet exists, many GHG programs have similar accounting requirements. The Greenhouse Gas Management Institute does not promote any particular standards or protocols, instead providing training focused on the requirements of the most widely accepted GHG standards at present.
This training course will cover the basics of GHG accounting for projects. The course material is based on ISO 14064: Part 2 GHG Standard for Projects and the WRI/WBCSD GHG Protocol for Projects. Each learner will be able to download a personal copy of ISO 14064: Part 2 as part of this course.
The material taught in this course serves as the basis for the Voluntary Carbon Standard 2007 and many other GHG project accounting initiatives, such as:
- Verified Carbon Standard
- UN Clean Development Mechanism
- Alberta Offsets System
The course includes quizzes and exercises to help you learn to apply key lessons.
A Certificate of Participation is included as part of the course.
A Certificate of Proficiency is available for an additional fee and requires the passing of an exam after completion of the course.
Key concepts covered include:
- GHG accounting principles
- Defining applications for GHG projects
- Design and development of GHG projects
- Identifying sources, sinks and reservoirs and establishing GHG boundaries for the project and the baseline
- Determining the baseline
- Quantifying GHG emissions
- Monitoring GHG emissions
- Managing data quality
- Preparing a GHG project report
- Preparing for verification
- Introduction to GHG Projects and Project Level Accounting
- GHG Project Standards, Protocols and Programs
- Introduction to Key Concepts and Accounting Processes
- Describing the Project, Determining Project Boundaries and Identifying Leakages
- Determining the Baseline of a GHG Project
- Quantifying GHG Emissions or Removals
- Monitoring and Data Management for GHG Projects
- Documentation, Validation and Verification of GHG Projects
- Teacher: Michael Gillenwater